Ok, it's almost bed time but I want to share something that I meant to share last Friday.
So...last Friday I helped one of our managers interview a candidate. Me, him, and the candidate went out to lunch together at Sheraton Hotel's Bistro. We chat, and the candidate relaxed a bit. When our food came, the manager said, "Do you mind if I say a blessing?" In my mind I was thinking "OH NO!!!! What the heck are you doing???" because from HR standpoint (I'm HR) you are not "supposed" to do this especially because the candidate is not an employee, it was a work-interview-lunch, and we don't want to impose or bring up religion at the workplace ya know? To avoid conflicts basically. The candidate said, "sorry?" and D said it again, "do you mind if I say a blessing?" and even though I had that thought in my mind I replied back, "yes, please go ahead" and so D prayed. Afterwards the candidate said, "my dad used to do that for us all the time..." That was pretty much the extent of "religion" we talked about that time.
When I was driving home from work, I was wondering why I was that way. I think God put me in my workplace for a reason. What better way to share your faith than to the people that you see often- your colleagues; people at your workplace. I don't think D know that I'm a believer, and from my action, can he see that I am a follower of Christ? Hmm...
Later that night I went to LIFE Bible Study and J shared about Evangelism. He said that people (unbelievers) don't read the bible, they read our character. They watch us. They will know how we react to certain things, events, people, etc by the way we handle things or by the way we talk to people and so on. I need to put more effort in sharing the good news at my workplace. I've been wanting to (especially to Steve) but I'm afraid to bring religion to my workplace. I don't want to be outcasted or I don't want them to have certain "labels" on me. So I try to testify through my actions and I know that they can see that I'm different because I don't get involved in gossips or anger or any of that. And, Steve trusts me. He comes to me when he is having a hard time with work, with his personal life, or when he needs prayers. But, still, it's so hard to actually talk about it. I think this one time when Steve was going through a hard time with Pat's heath, we actually had a short and somewhat deep talk. He believes that there was a greater being out there protecting him...but, unfortunatley, I was numb. I could not and did not share to him that the "greater being" is God and took the opportnity to share to him about the one and true God :( And even now, I pray that I have another opportunity but at the same time I am scared about it. J said that as we mature we will start thinking less of ourselves and start thinking of other people (become less self absorbed). I want to be less conscious about what people will think of me, or what will happen. God is in control and I should surrender this to his hands. He will guide me through.
Dear Lord, please give me wisdom in planting seeds at my workplace. Please help me be bold in my walk with you. Please give me the ability to show your way of loving people to those around me. To have a strong desire in bringing not only my family, friends, and strangers into your kingdom but to also bring my colleagues into your kingdom, Lord.
Sunday, May 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment